About my blog

In the past year, I have lost over 55 lbs while working full time and being a full time mom to Maddie, 5 and Carter, 2. I want to encourage other moms who are pulled in a million different directions every day - if I can do it, you can too. I promise it IS possible.

On this blog, you will find information about how I lost the weight (this is an ongoing endeavor!), recipes enjoyed by me and my family, couponing and saving money, thoughts on parenting, yoga, people in general, or whatever else I feel like blogging about that day.


Thursday, September 20, 2012

The yoga itch: my new addiction

Today I had a new experience. I haven't been able to get to a yoga class in a week. Today my muscles itched - I can't think of a better way to describe it. Like I was going through some kind of withdrawal. Every time I bent down to put a book away, or carried a big stack of books to the desk, my muscles would get all excited thinking I was going to start working them out. Then they would feel all itchy and I would need to bend or stretch a little to get them to settle down. Those of you who work out on a regular basis - do you know what I'm talking about? Does this happen to you? It's the weirdest feeling! Tonight I came home and did some yoga on my own and it felt SO GOOD. My muscles were like, oh thank God!

I think I'm going to just start doing my own routine at home. It's so hard for me to get to classes with my schedule and Scott's schedule. I have yet to find a yoga video I like. I found this website http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/sequence_builder where you can build your own routine.

It makes me think about how I'm changing and how I felt when I started. I remember thinking after my first class that I would never be able to do those poses all the way through. I couldn't breathe in child's pose. I couldn't imagine ever being able to hold plank. I remember the yoga instructor telling us to tighten our stomach muscles and I tried but I couldn't even tell if they were tightening or not. I thought, "what stomach muscles"? If it wouldn't have been for the little resting part at the end where you get to lay there and feel your body all warm and stretched out, I don't think I would have gone back.

I love many different aspects of yoga. Many of these came much later, 6-9 months into my yoga practice, like the breathing and the spiritual aspect - mostly due to one amazing instructor. But I think the best thing is how you can see how much stronger you are every time you practice. It's not a cardio class where you just repeat the same routine over and over. I went from not being able to do anything to being able to hold downward facing dog for more than a few seconds, then holding plank for a few seconds, then seconds turned into minutes, and I could do upward facing dog, and finally I could breathe when I was in child's pose (partially due to the weight loss, I'm sure). I could feel myself getting stronger with every tiny goal I accomplished and I was able to do more every week. This is the best feeling - my body getting stronger and stronger. I can feel my stomach muscles now! And with yoga there is really no end to the challenges you can give yourself. And who wouldn't love an exercise routine that includes, as a friend of mine put it, "a little nap at the end"?

No comments:

Post a Comment