About my blog

In the past year, I have lost over 55 lbs while working full time and being a full time mom to Maddie, 5 and Carter, 2. I want to encourage other moms who are pulled in a million different directions every day - if I can do it, you can too. I promise it IS possible.

On this blog, you will find information about how I lost the weight (this is an ongoing endeavor!), recipes enjoyed by me and my family, couponing and saving money, thoughts on parenting, yoga, people in general, or whatever else I feel like blogging about that day.


Monday, July 23, 2012

The beginning of the Journey

I didn't start out this year planning to lose this weight. I lost quite a bit after the birth of my son two years ago just by breastfeeding him until he was 15 months. He weaned himself and the pounds started creeping back on. I started to notice my clothes were getting tight...and then my clothes didn't fit. In the time period from last July to January 2012 I gained about 20 pounds. I was kind of ambivalent about the gain. I had been heavy my whole life, dieted on and off my whole life, lost and regained the same 40 pounds over and over again. So this was the pattern I lived - nothing new.

My mom asked me to go back to Weight Watchers with her in January 2012. We had been members before and lost weight for a while, but didn't stick with it. I didn't want to go. I wasn't really interested in counting points. I didn't want to do the work. I didn't want to look at my weight issue and deal with it. But I went to support my mom. And I started losing weight - more than 10 pounds in the first few weeks.

I'm not sure I can pinpoint when it clicked for me. It's weird but I think my attitude of not really caring was a good thing at first. I wasn't too hard on myself if I didn't lose much - it just wasn't that big of a deal. I was just there supporting my mom, and if I lost some weight too that would be cool. I started losing more weight, and feeling better. My clothes fit better and then became too big. I started doing yoga several times a week. And all of a sudden I was the one who was serious about following the program and losing the weight.

Maybe I didn't expect results and so didn't want to get my hopes up too high. But when I did get results I started to hope. I started to believe I could actually do this. I've spent my whole life failing at losing this weight, but I didn't have to stay in this pattern of behavior.

I think the key this time is about my attitude towards myself. If I don't lose weight one week, or don't lose much weight, or even gain weight, I don't beat myself up about it. Next week is a new week. This is a lifetime coming and it's not going to happen overnight. And I'm not perfect. I still eat a spoonful of peanut butter right out of the jar sometimes. But that's OK. I've finally let go of my guilt about eating and cut myself some slack.

I had a moment the other day when I saw a picture of myself and I was like - "wait, is that me?" - wow. What a moment.

February 2012 - In Vegas with my girlfriends

In June on vacation with family - ignore the no makeup!!

No comments:

Post a Comment