About my blog

In the past year, I have lost over 55 lbs while working full time and being a full time mom to Maddie, 5 and Carter, 2. I want to encourage other moms who are pulled in a million different directions every day - if I can do it, you can too. I promise it IS possible.

On this blog, you will find information about how I lost the weight (this is an ongoing endeavor!), recipes enjoyed by me and my family, couponing and saving money, thoughts on parenting, yoga, people in general, or whatever else I feel like blogging about that day.


Saturday, July 21, 2012

The skinny on "The Skinny Roll"

My focus for this blog is the changes I have been going through in the past year, in particular my weight loss journey. I hope to expand it to include posts on cooking, parenting, yoga, and saving money, but my original idea was a blog about weight loss.

So - why "The Skinny Roll?"

My kids have always loved my fat roll. The big one, the one I hate with a passion, right around my middle. The one that prevents me from wearing anything that ties around the middle or has a belt. The one that makes me want to buy shirts that are too big. That fat roll.
A picture from last summer of the fat roll
taken by my 4 year old photographer.
My kids like to play with the fat roll - it's kinda like play-doh, all squishy and soft. They pat it, squish it with their little hands, lay on it, form it into different fat roll shapes, knead it like the cat (the cat loves it too for this very reason). My son went through a phase when he wanted to lay his head on it every morning for a little while. Of course, he had to lift up my shirt and have full access to the fat roll. I think it was some warm memory he had leftover from breastfeeding that he associated with the fat roll.

Sometimes I get annoyed when they want to play with the fat roll. They squeeze or pat too hard, or poke it like I'm the Pillsbury dough boy (they are 4 and 2, so they don't realize why that might be funny - or not funny). So the other day my daughter was patting on my fat roll. I didn't feel like being patted, so I jokingly asked her to quit messing with my fat roll. She said "Mommy you don't have a fat roll anymore - now it's a skinny roll!" Ahh, out of the mouths of babes. It made my day. Maybe even my week.

Watching that fat roll get smaller and smaller has been one of the best things in my weight loss journey. And having my daughter rename it changed the way I feel about the part of my body I hated the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment